The NSU Wellness, Recreation, Activity Center (WRAC) provides a healthy and motivating environment where our patrons can comfortably interact with one another and enjoy the many fitness, leisure, competition, and wellness programs available. The 88,000 square foot facility opened in 2005 and is one of the premier recreational facilities in Louisiana. The center includes:
- Two large gymnasiums with four courts marked for basketball, volleyball, and badminton.
- Three state of the art racquetball courts with glass back walls for playing and observation.
- 2500 square foot group exercise studio that is host to over 20 group exercise classes each week.
- 3000 square foot free weight room with a variety of free weight, plate-loaded, barbells, and dumbbell equipment.
- 2800 square foot strength machine area with machines to cover all areas of a full body work-out.
- 2800 square foot cardio machine area. This area is equipped with Cardio Theater and six televisions to make your work-out seem quicker. This area is equipped with over 25 pieces of cardio equipment.
- 400 square foot beauty bell area. This area is located between the strength machines and cardio equipment. This area has dumbbells from 3lb – 15lb, kettle bells from 5lbs – 50lbs, and medicine balls.
- 9.5 laps make a mile on our three-lane synthetic cushioned jogging/walking track. You can take a break in one of the designated stretching areas on the side of the track to cool down or use the cardio area for a warm-up or a complete workout while enjoying a view overlooking our beautiful campus.
- Men and women have their own spacious locker room with seven private showers and a steam room on the basement level. Lockers may be rented on a yearly basis and come complete with a shower and workout towel each day for your convenience.
- The 600 sq. ft. “Core” room is located on the basement floor and is equipped with the space and equipment for those intense core workouts
- The WRAC Service Center is located on the basement floor for all of your equipment needs.
- The massage therapy room, is located in room 120 on the basement floor. Take an hour out of your day for this amazing experience.
- Our fitness assessment lab is located in room 222 on the ground floor. Stop in and see how you can improve your fitness and wellness.
- Enjoy a game of ping pong or just relax and visit with friends in the cafe area located on the ground floor next to the front desk.
- Our WRAC administration can help you with any of your needs! Please stop by these offices on the WRAC ground floor in room 210.
- It is recommended that patrons wear a mask while inside the WRAC facility.
- Social distancing is required in all areas.
General WRAC Building Policies
- Your own valid and working NSU student ID, WRAC ID, or a guest fee is required to enter the WRAC Facility.
- All entry and exiting is done through the front doors of the facility. Using any other doors for any reason other than a fire is a violation and may result in immediate termination of all WRAC facility privileges.
- Non-members (students or patrons) falsely gaining admittance into the WRAC facility is a violation and may result in immediate termination of all WRAC facility privileges for all parties involved.
- Children ages 8-18 may use certain facilities. Please see individual facility rules and regulations. Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to enter that WRAC under any circumstances.
- Athletic clothing and footwear must be worn in all athletic facilities in the center:
* Athletic pants/shorts/tennis shoes
While in the facility:
* As a health and wellness facility, your health, wellness and safety is our priority. Please observe the following dress code to keep skin contact against shared equipment to a minimum. Please use provided wipes on all equipment after use.
* Shirts or tank tops must be worn at all times. Shirts or tank tops must cover the lower back, front and sides of the torso-no midriffs showing. Shirts that are manufactured or altered to expose the abdominal area, or ribcage are not considered appropriate. Sports bras are not considered shirts.
* Shirts should be free of any offensive language or symbols.
* The WRAC reserves the right to restrict the use of any apparel deemed unsafe or inappropriate. Users may be asked to adjust apparel or risk being asked to leave the facility.
- Members should conduct themselves in a way, not to cause a distraction or interrupt the focus of other members’ workouts.
- All types of tobacco are prohibited in or around the WRAC Facility and on the campus of Northwestern State University.
- No gum, food or drink allowed in the weight room, or other fitness areas, other than plain water, and it must be in a re-sealable plastic container.
- Absolutely no alcohol, drugs, or weapons are to be brought on to the WRAC premises.
- Mopeds, bicycles, baby carriages, skateboards, roller skates, hover-boards, roller blades or any other equipment deemed inappropriate by NSU WRAC staff are not allowed in the facility under any circumstances.
- No loitering in the facility or on the grounds of the facility.
- No public displays of affection or other behavior that would cause other members to be uncomfortable.
- No bare feet or stocking/sock feet allowed in the facility other than the locker room.
- Photographing other patrons in the WRAC facility is prohibited without the consent of said patron.
- No types of sport activities or bouncing balls are allowed in the hallways.
- No Dunking, Touching or Grabbing the Rim, No Grabbing the Net in the basketball gyms. Violation of this policy will result in WRAC privilege suspension.
- Anything posted on the bulletin boards must get permission from a WRAC Professional staff member.
- Earbuds, or earphones must be used with all personal music devices. Personal devices may not be used in any areas where the music can be heard by other patrons.
- All students and patrons are expected to treat employees, staff, students, and other patrons in a civil manner. Any type of verbal or physical abuse or use of profane language towards others may result in a WRAC suspension.
- The NSU Department of Wellness and Recreation reserves the right to limit access to, or temporarily or permanently close, facilities in case of an emergency, natural disaster, sociopolitical or economic changes, or for other reasons that may require closure. The facility will have closure or modification of hours during holidays, school term breaks, and summer. (These will be posted in advance).
- NSU students, who fail to adhere to these policies, or those contained in the NSU Code of Conduct, will be assured due process, as allowed by the NSU Code of Conduct. Any violation of any of these policies may lead to a prolonged and/or permanent suspension from the WRAC facility.