WRAC General Policies and Procedures
1. Your own valid and working NSU student ID, WRAC ID, or a guest fee is required to enter the WRAC Facility
2. All entry and exiting is done through the front doors of the facility. Using any other doors for any reason other than a fire is a violation and may result in immediate termination of all WRAC facility privileges.
3. Admitting a non-member into the facility is a violation and may result in immediate termination of all WRAC facility privileges for all parties involved.
4. Children ages 8-18 may use certain facilities. Please see individual facility rules and regulations. Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to enter that WRAC under any circumstances.
5. Athletic clothing and footwear must be worn in all athletic facilities in the center.
*Shirts or tank tops must be worn at all times. Shirts or tank tops must cover the lower back, front and sides of the torso. Shirts that are manufactured or altered to expose the abdominal area, or ribcage are not considered appropriate.
*Shirts should be free of any offensive language or symbols.
*No see-through material.
*The WRAC reserves the right to restrict the use of any apparel deemed unsafe or inappropriate. Users may be asked to adjust apparel or risk being asked to leave the facility.
6. Members should conduct themselves in a way, not to cause a distraction or interrupt the focus of other members' workouts.
7. All types of tobacco are prohibited in or around the WRAC Facility and on the campus of Northwestern State University.
8. No gum, food or drink allowed in the weight room, or other fitness areas, other than plain water, and it must be in a resealable plastic container.
9. Absolutely no alcohol, drugs, or weapons are to be brought on to the WRAC premises.
10. Mopeds, bicycles, baby carriages, skateboards, roller skates, hoverboards and roller blades are not allowed in the facility under any circumstances.
11. No loitering in the facility or on the grounds of the facility.
12. No public displays of affection or other behavior that would cause other members to be uncomfortable.
13. No bare feet or stocking/sock feet allowed in the facility other than the locker room.
14. Photographic devices may not be used in the WRAC facility.
15. No cell phone use on the fitness floor.
16. No types of sport activities or bouncing balls are allowed in the hallways.
17. No Dunking, No Touching or Grabbing the Rim, No Grabbing the Net in the basketball gyms.
18. Anything posted on the bulletin boards must get permission from a WRAC Professional staff member.
19. Any students who owe money to the WRAC for any reason may have a hold put on his/her University account in the registrar’s office until all bills have been paid.
20. All students and patrons are expected to treat employees, staff, students, and other patrons in a civil manner. Any type of verbal or physical abuse or use of profane language towards others may result in a WRAC suspension.
21. NSU students, who fail to adhere to these policies, or those contained in the NSU Code of Conduct, will be assured due process, as allowed by the NSU Code of Conduct.
22. No loitering.
Violators of the above policy may also be suspended from using the facilities as determined by the Director of Wellness and Recreation. Suspensions may be for a minimum of one month or a maximum of a permanent suspension. Suspensions may be appealed by submitting a written request to appeal, along with a written statement of the events leading to the suspension, to Mr. Patric DuBois, WRAC Director; within 48 hours of the suspension. Mr. DuBois will call for a meeting of the NSU Recreational Sports Committee, to review the suspension. This decision of the Recreational Sports Committee will be final. Fee paying members who are suspended will not have any portion of their fees refunded.
Weight Room and Fitness Area Policies
Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid potential injury to themselves and others. Spotters are recommended for all lifters.
1. To avoid congestion and waiting lines, patrons should limit their workout times to 15-minute intervals per piece of weight equipment and 30-minute intervals for cardiovascular equipment.
2. Proper workout clothing and shoes must be worn in all weight and fitness areas. No denim pants/shorts, cutoff shorts, boots, hard-soled shoes, or non-athletic shoes allowed.
3. All shorts and work-out pants must be pulled up to at least waist level.
4. All patrons must have a towel to enter weight and fitness areas. Patrons are required to wipe down all equipment, benches, and cardio-vascular machines after use.
5. Absolutely no food, gum, or beverages are allowed in any of the weight and fitness rooms. Only water is allowed in each room, and it must be in a resealable plastic container.
6. Each person may have only one set of dumbbells off the rack at one time. All equipment must be returned to its proper location after use.
7. All equipment must remain in the weight and fitness rooms.
8. Weight belts that may damage equipment must be removed or covered completely.
9. Personal belongings such as backpacks, wallets, etc. may not be placed on the floor anywhere in the weight room or fitness areas. Please use locker room lockers (to be rented) or use free day lockers and bring your own lock. No locks are to be left on day lockers overnight. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
10. Members should conduct themselves in a way, not to cause a distraction or interrupt the focus of other members' workouts.
11. No public displays of affection or other actions that would cause members to be uncomfortable.
12. Please direct all concerns and maintenance needs to the Service Center attendant.
13. Weights and bars of any kind should not be leaned against the wall, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
14. Top loading additional weights on to the weight stack machines is unsafe and prohibited.
15. Only NSU Department of Wellness and Recreation personal trainers are allowed to train users in this facility.
16. You must be at least 14 years of age to use the free weight room.
You must be at least 12 years of age to use the fitness floor or group exercise room.
17. Profanity, excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated and may lead to suspension from the WRAC facility.
18. Earbuds, or earphones must be used with all personal music devices.
19. Photographic devices may not be used in the WRAC facility.
20. For safety reasons & electronic interference with facility equipment, cell phone usage is strictly prohibited while using weight or fitness areas.
21. No loitering.
22. Weight and fitness room attendants may ask any patron to leave the facility if
23. Any violation of any of these policies may lead to a prolonged and/or permanent suspension from the WRAC facility.
1. Reservations may be made up to 1 week in advance at the service desk.
2. Courts will be given away 10 minutes after a reservation if you are a "no show".
3. Check in at the service center before going on court.
4. Only non-marking tennis shoes and non-marking racquetballs may be used
5. Protective eyewear is required and must be worn properly
6. Metal racquets may not be used.
7. No beverages are allowed inside racquetball courts. Please leave water bottles outside the courts.
8. Only racquetball, walleyball, and handball are allowed to be played on these courts.
9. Any player not following rules will be asked to leave the facility. Infractions will be reported to the facility coordinator and may result in loss of privileges.
The WRAC has two large gymnasiums with 6 basketball courts and seating. Please see the policies below.
1. DUNKING, GRABBING, TOUCHING, or HANGING from the rim or GRABBING the net, is strictly prohibited. You will immediately be asked to leave the facility. A report will be turned in to the facility coordinator and you will receive a mandatory 30 day suspension (subsequent offenses will incur longer suspensions)
2. Playing or shooting basketball is not allowed in the area, when any part of the volleyball or badminton systems are set up.
3. No bags or excess equipment allowed in the gym. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
4. Proper athletic clothing and footwear must be worn at all times. Only non-marking athletic shoes are acceptable. No bare feet or sock/stocking feet are allowed. No denim pants/shorts or cut-off shorts allowed. Shirts must be worn at all times.
5. For safety reasons: no hats or jewelry may be worn in the gym while participating in activity. Shorts or sports pants must be pulled above the waist.
6. No fighting, foul or abusive language will be tolerated. These violations will incur suspensions from the facility.
7. Members should conduct themselves in a way, not to cause a distraction or interrupt the focus of other members' workouts.
8. No food or drink is allowed in the gymnasium.
9. Chewing gum is prohibited.
10. Hitting or throwing any balls against the walls is prohibited. No one is allowed to strike the protective mats on the walls for any reason.
11. Cell phone use on the gymnasium floor is prohibited.
12. No loitering.
13. Any violation of rules may lead to a lengthy or permanent ban from the facility.
1. The jogging direction will be rotated daily. Please follow the posted direction.
2. The outside lane is for jogging. The two inside lanes are for walking.
3. Faster joggers stay to the outside lane.
4. Stretching is allowed in designated areas only.
5. No weights are allowed on the track.
6. No loitering is allowed on track surface. No standing and watching the gymnasium from the track.
7. Members should conduct themselves in a way, not to cause a distraction or interrupt the focus of other members'
8. No food, beverages, or chewing gum allowed in track area.
9. Appropriate clothing and shoes should be worn at all times.
Conduct of Fitness Center Users All members and users of the WRAC Facility are expected to be responsible, courteous, and safety conscious at all times. Disorderly conduct, physical or verbal abuse against patrons or employees, misuse of the facility or its equipment, or disregard for the fitness centers' policies will not be tolerated. Any violation of any of these policies may lead to a prolonged and/or permanent suspension from the WRAC facility.
Closure of Facilities and/or modification of hours
The NSU Department of Wellness and Recreation reserves the right to limit access to, or temporarily or permanently close, facilities in case of an emergency, natural disaster, sociopolitical or economic changes, or for other reasons that may require closure. The facility will have closure or modification of hours during holidays, school term breaks, and summer. (These will be posted in advance).
Amendment of Rules & Regulation and Fee Structure
The NSU Department of Wellness & Recreation, may, at its sole discretion, make such amendments to the rules and regulations, or the fee schedule, at any time and from time to time, without prior notice or individual notice to each cardholder. Such amendments shall be binding for all [appropriate] cardholders. Such amendments shall be voted on and enforced by the NSU Recreational Sports Committee. The NSU Recreational Sports Committee membership is made up of nine members. The NSU Dean of Students will appoint a Chair, one male SGA member, one female SGA member, a representative from the Division of Student Affairs, a representative from the NSU Athletic Department or the Department of Health & Human Performance, and two representatives from the NSU F/S. The SGA President will appoint a freshman or sophomore student and a junior or senior student with the approval of the SGA Senate. The Dean of Students will vote in case of a tie.
Assumption of Risk
A cardholder who participates in recreational sports activities will be doing so at his/her own risk. The Department of Wellness and Recreation and the University are not liable for any accident, injury, loss, or damage to personal property suffered by a cardholder or guest while in facilities managed by The Department of Wellness and Recreation or participating in any recreational sports activity. The Department of Wellness and Recreation and the University do not carry any insurance program to cover participants. Participation in any recreational sports activity is on a voluntary basis. All cardholders are strongly encouraged to undergo a health evaluation and consult with a personal physician so indicating fitness level appropriateness for strenuous activity prior to participating in any recreational sports activity.
All WRAC members must have a parking permit and park in the designated lot during the hours of 7:00am - 3:00pm daily. Parking permits are required outside of these hours; however, you may park in any parking lot with a valid permit.
Termination of WRAC Facility Privileges
The NSU Department of Wellness and Recreation, at its sole discretion, may terminate WRAC Facility Privileges if a cardholder:
1. Fails to pay any of his or her monetary obligations to the NSU Department of Wellness and Recreation, whether under these rules or regulations, or otherwise.
2. Fails to adhere to the rules and regulations of the WRAC, NSU Intramurals, or NSU Wellness programs.
3. Fails to adhere to the NSU Student Code of Conduct while using the WRAC Facility.
4. Willfully damages any facility or equipment.
5. Enters incorrect information on his/her application form.
6. Violates any government laws or regulations, or rules of Northwestern State University, and its affiliates.
7. Damages the Department of Wellness and Recreation or the University's name and reputation through any actions.
8. Fails to act in an orderly manner or engages in improper conduct.
9. Fails to comply with instructions by staff regarding policies.
10. Anyone who has their WRAC privileges suspended or terminated may submit a written appeal, along with their statement, to the WRAC Director-Mr.Patric DuBois; within 48 hours of their suspension. The appeal will be reviewed by the NSU Recreational Sports Committee. The decision of the Recreational Sports Committee will be final.
11. NSU Students, who fail to adhere to these policies or those contained in the NSU Code of Conduct, will be assured due process as allowed by the NSU Code of Conduct.
1. The WRAC Facility is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
2. Members are encouraged to store all personal belongings securely in lockers available in the WRAC Facility.
3. Staff members are not permitted to hold equipment, valuables, or bags for members.
4. Found items should be turned in to the service desk on the bottom floor of the WRAC Facility.
5. Equipment found in all WRAC facilities will be sent to the service desk in the WRAC Facility on a daily basis.
6. Inquiries regarding items lost that day should be made to that specific location. Any day thereafter, inquiries should be made at the WRAC Facility service desk.
NSU Athletic or Club Sport teams or any other groups may not hold group or team workouts in any area of the WRAC facility without prior permission from the WRAC Director.
All food and beverages shall stay in the seated café area. No food, gum, or beverage is allowed anywhere else in the facility. There will be absolutely NO loitering.
1. No type of sport activities will be allowed in hallways of the WRAC building. No bouncing balls in the hallway.
2. Nothing may be posted on any hallway wall; only on appropriate bulletin boards. One must have permission from a WRAC Professional Staff member to post a flyer in the WRAC facility.
1. All equipment may be checked out with your membership card. For anything not returned the same day, there will be a charge of $1/day. Anything not returned within two weeks will be considered lost and the individual will be charged a replacement cost. Anything checked out is the sole responsibility of those who checked it out from that point until returned. Any lost or stolen item will be charged to the member.
2. If damages occur, the member will be responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the item(s).
3. Any member, who has pending fees for items not returned or damaged for any reason, will have his/her WRAC privileges suspended immediately until fees have been paid.
4. Abuse of equipment will not be tolerated. Users will be charged replacement cost for damaged items, and non-returned items, and may lose facility privileges.
5. Towels may be checked out for a fee of $1.00 and your ID. ID will be returned upon return of the towel.